Friday, September 08, 2006

As Praias de Rio - Brazil







The Place: Stayed in Copacabana a walk away from the beach. From this beach (2nd photo from top) you can see Pão de Açucar (Sugar Loaf) hill (second pic from top) and looking back at the city through the looming buildings, the statue of Cristo Redentor.

A walk away is Rio´s other famous beach, Ipanema (other pics), which has a really great vibe. It´s full of people playing soccer (a frisee´s substitute in Rio), volley ball, and tanning in the sun.

Surfers meet at the point of Ipanema (Posto 7) for some good surfing.

Went surfing about an hour south of Ipanema at a beach called Praianha.

On Sundays and public holidays they close 1 of the 2 traffic lanes that pass the beaches and open this road to pedestrians. You see loads of cyclists and joggers. If you follow the sound of the berimbau you´ll also find some jogos de capoeira.

Strange observation: Was lying on the beach with my shirt over my face. When I peered out I observed 2 mahassive guys clad in bling sitting right next to me. Didn´t take me long to get up and go.

No comments: