Saturday, July 01, 2006

Bangkok - Thailand



The Place: Bustling city of Bangkok, staying in Khao San Road from arrival 24 Jun to 26 Jun.
Some Features: Bangkok is ma..hassive but its clear that all tourists seem to stay in Khao San Road. The road is an explosion of colourful signs, markets, people, banners, etc and theres an abundance of massage and tattoo parlours, hostels, funky restaurants/bars, and markets selling imitation brands.
Highlights: Taking a tuk-tuk ride (3 wheeler taxi) around town to see the big buddha (standing 32m tall, +-12m wide), the lucky buddha (there are temples everywhere!), night swimming on the roof of our inn on the mad Khao San Road.
Strange observation: Our tuk-tuk ride was free because the driver gets free gasoline for taking us to some government supported tourist outings, this did however mean getting taken to suit taylor shops who have the most persistant salesmen! I did end up buying a coat for when I work in London thru winter, but now I break out in a sweat, start to shiver, then run off in a delirium with my underpants on my head anytime I see a suit taylor!

No comments: